The primary function of the Criminal Investigations Division is to provide investigative follow-up to offenses and incidents initiated by the Patrol Division. These investigations consist of interviewing suspects, victims, and witnesses; analyzing information; and compiling complete and thorough case files to the district attorney’s office. The division works closely with agencies both at the State and Federal level in investigations and information gathering activities. Investigators generally work Monday-Friday and are on-call during weekends and holidays; schedules may be adjusted to meet the needs of active investigations.
The Criminal Investigations Division is composed of detectives who work on Property Crimes, Crimes against Persons, Administrative Investigations, Internal Affairs Investigations, and participation in Task Forces.
- Property Crimes: Detectives investigates all thefts, criminal mischief, forgery, burglary, criminal trespass and auto theft cases.
- Crimes Against Persons: Detectives investigate all assaults, sexual assaults, robbery, homicides, including offences involving Family Violence and Missing Person.
- Administrative Investigations: Assigned Investigators conduct background checks on individuals requiring secure access and investigate violations of the Airport Security Plan. Additionally, detectives conduct background investigations on police officer candidates and prospective employees seeking security sensitive positions.
- Internal Affairs Investigations: Detective Sergeants Investigates both internal and external complaints of misconduct lodged against department employees.
- Task Force: Investigators and supervisors assigned to task forces coordinate with other agencies, such as the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Joint Terrorism Task Force, to identify and suppress criminal activity.